Friday, December 10, 2004

Bloomers' Booktalk!

So, having seen no posters for Susan Bloom's booktalk, I decided to march right on up to the Children's Lit. office and ask some hard questions. On the door to the suite there were two announcements. One was some advertisement for an English course, the other was an inconspicuous poster for the booktalk. It was yesterday afternoon.

That's right, blame me, I missed it. I suck. I did, however, ask the secretary-esque girl if I could get a copy of the list. She had to print it out for me while I browsed books. Nice of her.

Here's the list, sans the promised notes. Bloomers called her talk, "Lost and Found: A Selection of the Best Children's Books of 2004." I would have loved to hear her creating a theme for all of these books to flow together. Alas.

I did take a look at the Virginia Hamilton book - it's a remade version, condensed into picture book format with new illustrations, of The People Could Fly. It's supposed to be a tribute to Hamilton, which is funny considering that they had to cut text to make it fit this format. Weird. But, of course, the Dillons did some beautiful work. Biased? Moi?


Books A La Bloomers:

Almond, David. The Fire-Eaters. Delacorte.

Balliett, Blue. Chasing Vermeer. Scholastic.

Browne, Anthony. In the Forest. Farrar.

Chen, Chih-Yuan. Guchi Guchi. Farrar.

Chodenko, Gennifer. Al Capone Does My Shirts. Putnam.

Crews, Nina. The Neighbordhood Mother Goose. Greenwillow.

Crossley-Holland, Kevin. King of the Middle March. Scholastic.

Farmer, Nancy. The Sea of Trolls. Atheneum.

Fox, Mem. Where is the Green Sheep?, ill. by Judy Horacek. Harcourt.

Freedman, Russell. The Voice That Changed a Nation: Marian Anderson and the Struggle for Equal Rights. Clarion.

Hamilton, Virginia. The People Could Fly, ill. by Leo and Diane Dillon. Knopf.

Hoose, Philip. The Race to Save the Lord God Bird. Farrar.

Jenkins, Steve. Actual Size. Houghton.

Kerley, Barbara. Walt Whitman: Words for America, ill. by Brian Selznick. Scholastic.

Leavitt, Martin. Heck Superhero. Front Street.

Martin, Ann. Here Today. Scholastic.

McKay, Hilary. Indigo’s Star. McElderry.

McWhorten, Diane. A Dream of Freedom: The Civil Rights Movement from 1954 to 1968. McElderry.

Montgomery, Sy. The Tarantula Scientist, ill. with photography by Nic Bishop. Houghton.

Nelson, Marilyn. Fortune’s Bones: The Manumission Requiem. Front Street.

Peck, Richard. The Teacher’s Funeral: A Comedy in Three Parts. Dial.

Pratchett, Terry. A Hat Full of Sky. HarperCollins.
Prelutsky, Jack. If Not for the Cat, ill. by Ted Rand. Greenwillow.

Rogers, Gregory. The Boy, The Bear, The Baron, The Bard. Roaring Brook.

Rumford, James. Sequoyah: The Cherokee Man Who Gave His People Writing. Houghton.

Sabuda, Robert. America the Beautiful. Simon & Schuster.

Schwartz, Amy. A Glorious Day. Atheneum.

Simon, James. Baby Brains: The Smartest Baby in the Whole World. Candlewick.

Thomas, Dylan. A Child’s Christmas in Wales, ill. by Chris Raschka. Candlewick.

Waddell, Martin. Tiny’s Big Adventure, ill. by John Lawrence. Candlewick.

Weeks, Sarah. So B. It. HarperCollins.

Willem, Mo. Knuffle Bunny. Hyperion.

Wolf, Allan. New Found Land. Candlewick.

Wormell, Christopher. Teeth, Tails & Tentacles: An Animal Counting Book. Running Press.


5 comments:

J E said...

Hey Hey everyone. I am here, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth, just had a detour to DC for a wedding and then to Philly for a cheese steak. But now I'm home. Here is my email. Sign me up for the whole shebang...jegoffin@verizon.net

JoBiv said...

I think I speak for everyone when I say, It's about damn time, jLiz.

Welcome welcome!!!

Sarah said...

Yay for J(Liz)! I emailed you the official invite so you should be set.

Thanks, Jo, for posting Bloomers's list.

Sarah said...

I love Steve Jenkins's Actual Size and Mo Willem's Knuffle Bunny. Indigo’s Star and Sequoyah: The Cherokee Man Who Gave His People Writing were pretty good also.

On my Read ASAP list: Sea of Trolls, So B. It, and The Fire Eaters.

The following books did not impress me that much: In the Forest by Mr. Brown or Sabuda's America the Beautiful. I've seen both do better.

JoBiv said...

Agreed on Sabuda... you know I have a very tender place for him in my heart. The section for gay men I would marry anyway if they only asked.