Monday, May 09, 2005

By the by

Some CSCL news (not that we EVOR call the Center for the Study of Children's Literature CSCL):

This Wednesday there's a retirement party for The Illustrious Susan P. Bloom at Simmons. Meera and I plan to go, and I promise to do my part to report back on the type of cheese served as well as whether the napkins are store-bought or hand-printed. As this is a party in honor of Susan, those unfamiliar with the small world of Simmons will perhaps assume that Bloomers will relax, revel in the glory of a career well-managed.

I'm counting on the excited-dog action, myself.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Tell Ms. Bloom congrats for me - I can't imagine the CSCL without her.

And CSCL does sound stupid.

JoBiv said...

It was quite the evening! Cathie gave this great slide-show presentation with a series of photos of Bloomers in a gorilla suit at Logan Airport. Cathie also cried a little, as did Susan, as did I (and I won't report on Meera but you can probably guess).

And Bloomers wore a new jacket that was somehow patched from velvet, batik, and other embroidered fabrics. Splendid, I say.

The cheese: catered assortment of gouda, cheddar, something that looked like havarti, and something greasier than gouda.

The napkins: Simmons private stock, with blue insignia.

David Bloom: Still cute as ever.

Meera and I have warned Cathie and Susan that we're going to lunch one of these days, so we'll update you on that, too!