Monday, May 16, 2005

19 Schuyler Place

Short version: the best book we've read so far!

First-rate characterization.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[edited to add longer version]

You know, I fell in love with Margaret Rose. I think I'm inclined to admire-adore down-to-earth intellectuals, the sort of people with odd bits of trivia in their heads. These are the sort of people I like best in real life. This is the kind of person I want to be.

***NOTE: I would have thrown a BIG fit over the bedwetting issue, getting all excited (enraged) and yelling and (maybe) even (okay, probably) throwing things. I would have shown the inept counselor my dry pajamas and screamed the cabin down.

*****ANOTHER NOTE: Yes, I know this book wasn't all about me. I'm just reflecting, pensively.

The uncles are lovingly crafted.

Pg. 112: I spit on digital clocks/watches, too, Morris.

Love the wordplay: areasonable, anobedient, etc.

Verdict: Well-told, moving, concise, intriguing on many levels. I really enjoyed it! Didn't realize until end that the cover is the painting on Margaret's ceiling, with one corner left undone. Are those the shadows of the towers criss-crossing the rose?

6 comments:

Lady Digby said...

Hell, yes they are! And did you notice that none other than E.L. herself painted said rose?

JoBiv said...

I am a little bit in love with Konigsberg, I will admit. I always want to throw her books willy-nilly onto random doorsteps.

I loved this book, but I think I loved it in a sort of selfish way, or a fanatical way. I wonder if Konigsberg intentionally crafts her books in such a way that they feel private, like something only YOU can fully appreciate, and the lesser beings of the world just will not understand...

That's not exactly how I felt about it, but do you know what I'm talking about? There were passages in the book that were heavy with explication and this sort of legal jargon stuff, but I had this moment when I said to myself, "My, I am bearing this beautifully. I am just reading along without a hitch. I wonder how other readers feel about these sections." In a sort of ten-yr-old-JoBiv way, I was proud of myself. It was very odd. (Even moreso that I was immediately conscious of it.)

Erica said...

I'm not done yet. (And that bothers me, since I started over 2 weeks ago-- am I suddenly too busy to read, or am I less interested?) Yes, best book so far. Well-written and great characters, but there are some peeves I have, mostly the Hungarian and the names I don't know how to pronounce. (Is it 'shoe-ler'? 'Sky-ler'? 'Shy-ler'? 'Shoe-ee-ler'? I just don't know.) It's just a little TOO quirky. I think my perspective may be skewed, since I read The Mixed-Up Files just before this. I'll comment more when I finally finish.

Sarah said...

Suz - she's done lots of her own covers. That is so awesome. Rare, too, that a publisher allows it. (Lois Lowry is the only other author I can recall who is in the same boat; her covers incorporate photos she's taken. It's just not common with non-picturebook authors) I think Jo's mentioned before, in person if not in these pages, that the bad thing about this particular cover is how it must make boys go "ew" and flee.

Jo - I totally know what you mean and agree fully. Didn't I write that on a comment you made on the last book? I agree with too many people.

Erica - I think you were right with "SKY-LER." As far as the Hungarian goes, mine's rusty, so no help there. Sorry.

Erica said...

Alright, so my comments haven't changed much since I finished the book. I'm still a little annoyed with the level of eccentricity, but I did enjoy the book. I think it's greatest strength is Konigsburg's writing style. It feels like she's comfortable with her prose.

Since we're discussing the cover, I'd be interested in reading some opinions: Why do you think Konigsburg chose to use the rose instead of the towers for the cover art?

JoBiv said...

So you can imagine their beauty with your own ripening imagination? They are fictional pieces of art, after all, so it might be silly for her to create them in a painting, whereas the rose is pretty straightforward - we know it's from a photograph of a rose rose, blown up huge, intense close-up, etc. Or maybe she didn't want boys reading this book. Sheesh. I'm still annoyed about that.