Thursday, January 20, 2005

Florida: environment vs. urbanization (oh, and old people and hanging chads)

We all know states have stereotypes. Authors often play on these stereotypes because they a) believe them, or b) enjoy using them as satire. And I'm not going to argue that setting isn't important. I guess I'm asking, "How important is setting in Hoot? What's the deal with Florida?"

Roy is very aware that the state one is from gives that person a certain image. He wants people to think he's from Montana, even though he was born in Detroit.

A reviewer on amazon.com wrote, "[What Roy says] about his home in South Florida, which is just as applicable here in Northern Minnesota or anywhere else encroached by real estate development juggernauts: 'Ever since I was little... I've been watchin' this place disappear - the piney woods, the scrub, the creeks, the glades. Even the beaches, man - they put up these giant hotels and only goober tourists are allowed. It really sucks.' Hoot encourages concern for the environment and social conscience."

I'm not sure how much Hoot influenced my environmental ideals. I like to reach conclusions on my own instead of being hit over the head with a message. Carl Hiaasen is no Edward Bloor (Tangerine). Could Hoot be set anywhere in the United States?

Hiaasen may just be writing from what he knows. He was "born and raised in Florida" and has used the state as a setting for his other books.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I believe Hoot could indeed occur anywhere in the US, Kristin. But Floridy is not known for its environmentalistic tendencies (beyond SAVE THE EVERGLADES) so maybe Mr H is going out on a limb with his burrowing owls tale.

Florida just makes me think of retirees in white belts, pants and shoes, large reptiles that eat people, Disney World and heat. Not high on my list of places to visit - even moreso now, because I know I may twist an ankle in some damn burrowing owl hole.

JoBiv said...

I think Hiaasen THINKS he's doin' a grand ole job of rendering Florida as a quirky place with its own personality, but I think he actually created characters who fulfill Floridian stereotypes instead. Not kind ones, either. It's like he's saying, "Whoa-ho, people are nutso in Floridy!"

The environmental stuff seemed a bit quickly researched and clumsily injected - much like the non-fiction books I wrote for Jenn Nissenbaum. (I hope none of you ever read them.) If we're comparing to Bloor, I'd say Tangerine kicks the bejeezus outta Hoot - I actually cared that the orange grove was suffering, and wondered at the sinkholes at the school, the bug problems, etc. Even though most of Bloor's environmental issues came out in sort of comic book proportions, I at least gave a shit. Hiaasen's main argument seems to be, "But they're cute, these owl thingies. Kids don't want to kill cute things, right? Yeah... this'll be read in schools, I bet..."

Too cynical? You let me know. Someone argue with me, I don't think discussion is over.

Sarah said...

Jo, you are so right, I cannot argue with thou.

Tangerine is awesome - though it has had some crappy covers.