Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Winners

Here, find listed all the winners and honor books for the 2006 ALSC Awards. Lynne Rae Perkins (Criss Cross) and Chris Raschka (The Hello, Goodbye Window, written by Norton Juster) got the early Monday morning phone calls this year. Both these books were on Bloomers's list; I wonder if she wanted them to win?

Actually, the Horn Book ALA Awards site has nicer formatting and it explains each medal with a blurb.

Please feel free to add whatever looks interesting to the Wish List. I will set up a poll for March's book later this week.

A new award debuted this year, the Theodor Seuss Geisel Medal. It recognizes the best beginning reader books.

Winner:
Henry and Mudge and the Great Grandpas written by Cynthia Rylant and illustrated by Sucie Stevenson (Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers)

5 comments:

Eunice Burns said...

Can you rig the poll so that Criss Cross is definitely in it? I reeeeeeally want to read it.

Sarah said...

I'll see what I can do...

JoBiv said...

How deviant and underhanded! I didn't SEE a bribe in that little transaction, but there may be one implied...

Sarah said...

I imply nothing! I am blatantly outspoken!

Furthermore, I am not underhanded; I am never underhanded! I have a good arm and can throw quite competently in the over-hand fashion, a skill that brought great respect from my young male students upon watching me throw a football.

Why, did you want to get another book up on the block?

JoBiv said...

Umm... actually, not really. I was thinking of Lynch's Inexcusable, but I actually don't think I could handle it.

Susan P. Bloom declared herself well pleased with the books chosen, the honor books, etc. She's ecstatic about Criss Cross, and sounded very excited when I told her we might be reading it.

But don't let me tip the scale any further...