Sunday, September 23, 2007

someone stole the story

I did read this month's book. It's just that my response was so ... lacking that I put off posting and put off posting and here we are, 23 September and I am posting.

You know, I am just not a Tim Wynne-Jones fan (not to be confused in ANY way with Diana Wynne Jones--no hypen; Ms. Jones is a Brit and Mr. Wynne-Jones is Canadian) (you can totally tell by his photo). This is my third Wynne-Jones book and I'm yet again feeling it lacked lustre.

He gets some interesting characters who have Issues, but they don't do much except Think Thoughts. Mm. Yes.

I couldn't figure what kind of story A Thief in the House of Memory was. Psychological coming-of-age? Murder mystery? Spooky ghost story? No idea, even now.

Argh!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since the book club is ending I thought I would post on the last book as well.

It took me a long time to get into the book. Once I was into it I thought it was entertaining, but the ending was extremely anti-climatic. I was highly disappointed when nothing really happened.

I also thought the characters were unbelievable and not very likeable. They were all extremes to one end, and I couldn't relate to them.

Eunice Burns said...

I am trying to get through the book. I have had to start over once already, but I'm determined to slog through and get into it (maybe I will be entertained like mundane4life!). Give me a couple more days, please!

And Sarah, I thought maybe Tim and Diana were related (mother-son), so thanks for the clarification!

Eunice Burns said...

Oh, Meh. Meh meh meh. I just could not get into this book. I found myself not really caring, and then I started caring a little, but then I didn't anymore. And all the scenes with Lindy and little Dec were really stupid to me -- boring and over the top and who cares?? I agree the ending was anticlimactic -- so Sunny just didn't remember where the Plato was? Seems convenient. And Runyon was after some watch he heard about years ago? Unlikely. The dad's kind of a dick, the mom is immature, Birdie is underdeveloped, and Sunny's cute (but the ear issues seemed lost -- either tell us more or tell us less). Dec was okay, I guess. Whatever. I'm glad I'm finally done with it and can move onto something that either focuses on more character or more plot -- not too little of either.