Saturday, September 01, 2007

BOOK THIEF, THE

Any commentary on The Book Thief? I read it last summer; we'll see what I can remember.

I didn't love it--really, I thought it was too long and tended to ramble. It was depressing and dark and cold. All that remains with me visually are a few flashes of the basement and the drawings the artist did.

I remember it was a difficult read, as in I had to force myself to finish it.

. . . that's all I can dredge up! Other thoughts? I know we are all pretty busy right now.

1 comment:

meeralee said...

Ha -- I liked it quite a bit, probably because I like depressing and dark and cold. Also I like thieving.

;-)

I can see why you and Susan didn't enjoy it that much, but I'm a bit surprised that you both found it difficult to finish -- it read very quickly for me. Then again, I was on a plane, so there was not much else to do.

It's now been a month and several time zones since I read it, but I remember being simultaneously attracted to and slightly perturbed by the narrative voice -- it was almost as if the author chose Death just to be edgy and cool, since he didn't make that much of an attempt to imbue the grim reaper with a personality. And yet I confess I found it edgy and cool. Sigh. Sometimes I am a sucker for these tricks.

What I liked most about the writing was the way it allowed characters to be eccentric/specific/individual/interesting without turning them into caricatures, even though the tone of the book was rather detached all the way through. I found myself feeling for everyone even though I seemed to see them from a distance, almost as if they were puppets in a Punch and Judy show.

I know this makes no sense, but my excuse is that I am ridiculously sleepy and I really shouldn't be allowed up any longer. Someone, please take the internet away from me.