Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Wait! Before we close...

Okay, okay, I finally finished the book. Only two weeks late! I agree with most of the other posts, but as a form of punishment since I am oh so delinquent with deadlines, I won’t comment specifically.

But here’s one thing I’m mulling over: As much as I view Lola and Peter as heroes, and I applaud them for resisting the machine, did they really win? With Lola’s “undeniable urge to live” and Peter’s wanting to take care of Lola, does that mean that the experiment really did work for all five of the orphans? And wouldn’t the doctor and observers know that L&P were getting up to surrender, meaning the conditioning finally broke them? Or were they considered “failures” because they were only doing it for physical reasons, and they lasted that long, and they still hadn’t bought into the control of the machine? I want L&P to be successful, and I want them to be set apart from the other three, but technically speaking, they gave in.

Not that I expect us to discuss this, since we are moving rapidly on to my [shared] boyfriend’s book, but I just wanted to throw it out there for digestion.

Oh, and they must have REALLY stunk when they got out.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

And after handling all that meat, too.