Wednesday, November 15, 2006

It's what's in the bank

I was browsing Powells.com and discovered Random House is coming out with a 10th anniversary edition of The Golden Compass.

What?!

I adore this book (and already own two copies of each book in the trilogy) but this seems...is the word I'm looking for "money-grubbing?"

RH's site explains
Pullman created 16 pages of new materials (archival documents, scientific notes, and found letters of Lord Asriel) just for this edition, whcih [sic] has been illustrated and hand-lettered by renowned Bristish [sic again! Bad Random House!] artist Ian Beck. The deluxe edition also features a ribbon bookmark, colored endpapers, and Pullman's own chapter-opening spot art.

But with the movie coming out next year (and following movies in following years) there will be hideous MOVIE COVERS and all sorts of promotional garbage.

Can I get away with reading a library copy of all these new materials? Doubt it. RH wins and gets my money.

2 comments:

meeralee said...

It's totally money-grubbing. But on the other hand, if you hadn't already bought the book (like me) this would be a cool edition to own. I don't think it's unethical to put out new editions just because some people are fanatic. :-) Hee. At least it's a full 16 pages of material. Sometimes anniversary editions just have a new foreword.

Sarah said...

And it's not like they are holding a gun to my head or something.