Thursday, March 16, 2006

Recommendations: YA books that are really long

I have an 11-year-old friend who is consuming books like teenage boys consume pizza. She's looking for book recommendations, and her mom is hoping they'll be long enough to keep her busy for longer than a day. She loves just about anything she reads. Some favorites: The Tale of Desperaux, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Wicked, and she just finished The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency. I'm pretty sure she's already read the Redwall series, and she went through all the Harry Potters in about a month. Any ideas to keep her busy?

2 comments:

Eunice Burns said...

I really enjoyed Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. It's not an extraordinary work of fiction, but I thought it was greatly entertaining. It's long and even has a sequel, I think (is Inkspell a sequel?). Then there's The Thief Lord by the same author.

I also enjoyed The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. Long and thought-provoking.

Is Anne of Green Gables too young? Tons of books in that series!!

What about the Artemis Fowl books and the Eragon books? I haven't read them, but I hear they are engaging.

Lemony Snicket books aren't long, but there are a ton of them.

Yay for 11-year-old readers!

Sarah said...

Let's see:

+ The Neverending Story by Michael Ende
+ Most all of Nancy Farmer's books are on the longish side -- I liked The Ear, the Eye and the Arm and A Girl Named Disaster. I second Eunice's rec of House of the Scorpion
+ There's Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy: The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass
+ The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
+ Watership Down by Richard Adams
+ Zilpha Keatley Snyder's books aren't long, but they are great and there are lots of them. She was one of my favorite authors when I was 11.

Hope that helps!