Thursday, March 16, 2006

Not So Much Looking For; Kind Of Obsessing About Alaska

I read Looking for Alaska in pretty much one sitting a couple of nights ago, and had an interesting fluctuating reading experience.

1) I started out unimpressed with the writing, the characters, and the situation. I was bothered on page 1 by the phrasing of the sentence, "To say that I had low expectations would be to underestimate the matter dramatically," which I thought would be more accurately and stylishly rendered as, "To say that I had low expectations would be to dramatically overstate the case." And I immediately felt that the book was going to be a John Hughes-esque "problems of privileged white kid" book, which usually I don't mind too much but this time I could sense what felt like the narrator's pretension immediately, due to his obligatory Eccentric Trait* (memorizing last words). As an Eccentric Trait, I actually liked this one quite a lot, for dramatic purposes -- but I didn't buy that Miles had had this obsession for years and never thought about why.

2) I read on and felt mild interest in Alaska, the Colonel, and the cast of peripherals -- they seemed slightly annoyingly intellectual, mostly because they're seventeen and everything is dramatic and important and full of epiphany, but that's pretty realistic. I liked them ok. But then I finally noticed the countdown section headings, realized Alaska was going to die, realized that she was going to die WAY before the book ended, and instantly flashed forward to all of the scenes in which her (short, passionate, but ultimately ordinary) life would inevitably be infused with weight and import by her untimely and tragic death. I hate it when characters' lives are given import by their deaths. I am past the age when dying young seems romantic and incredibly significant. I am much more interested in what young people do and how they live when they're alive than how their peers react afterwards. And I could see at least 80 pages of reacting ahead of me.

3) I read on further, and at some point, perhaps 30 pages or so after Alaska's death, when I was fully resigned to reading the rest of the book and had gotten over being annoyed with its structure, something shifted and Miles and the Colonel and Takumi and Lara and even the Eagle started to grow on me. I think it's because they acknowledged that how they felt and what they thought about Alaska's death was not so much about her as about themselves, which was pretty honest and true and made me forgive them somewhat for being obsessed with analysing it (and everything).

Sorry, this is not really a discussy post. So I will end with an Interesting Question which occured to me while I was reading this. It is multiple-choice, which means everyone has a chance to be right! :-)

When you read YA fiction, is it:

a) A contemplative, nostalgic experience -- it makes you remember your adolescence and reflect on it.
b) A consuming, nostalgic experience -- it makes you plunge back into your adolescence and feel all those heady emotions over again.
c) A detached, universalizing experience -- "Boy, kids are dumb, and amusing," you think. "I was dumb and amusing then too, because being a teenager is always like that."
d) Other (please explain): ____________________________________________________________

I am sometimes a) but mostly c), I think. I have a hard time fully engaging with YA fiction these days because I'm far enough away from adolescence to see it as absurd, and not far enough away to really miss it. You?

* I didn't buy the Colonel's Eccentric Trait (memorizing countries, capitals, populations). It seemed forced and made-up.

5 comments:

Erica said...

Mkay, so my general feelings about this book are:

1) It pisses me off when people obsess about other people who really aren't worth it. George Clooney=worth it. Alaska=not. THe thing I did appreciate about this was that the author was trying to make us feel the same way that Miles did: awed and puzzled. (Unfortunately, I was just mad.)

2) After took too long. They took way too long to remember that she was doodling by the phone. By the time I read that, I knew what happened, and then I had to read 30 more pages to wait for them to figure it out. It made the book less interesting and more like a LOTR movie (long and boring).

I liked the characters (except Alaska) and the school, but the whole situation seemed a little preposterous. Like M said, their Eccentric Traits weren't that convincing and like she didn't say (but implied), they were too formulaic. Is this really what preppy boarding schools are like? All fake IDs and pranks? It seemed contrived to me.

In answer to Meera's question, I think sometimes a) and sometimes c). For the a), my thoughts are usually, "Was I like that? Nah..." and then it becomes c) with, "I could never have been that dumb. Teenagers are dumb. I'm glad I'm not one anymore." But maybe sometimes there's some d) A purely entertaining experience, in which I'm not at all reminded of my adolescence, and the characters and plot are completely foreign ("Holes") or the point of the book isn't to relate to (pre-)teens, but to make them think ("The Giver").

Eunice Burns said...

Phooey. I finished this book before Hawaii and now I've waited too long to post. Oh well. Let me do my best.

I actually really enjoyed this book, and I think I'm a little surprised that you two didn't so much. I mean, I know that the characters grew on you by the end (Meera), but I was pretty interested the whole way through. I wasn't sure that the countdown was heading toward Alaska's death—I thought it could have been headed toward Miles losing his virginity to her or Alaska leaving school and never coming back (hence the title of the book, which I found a little weird. I get that Miles is looking for the real Alaska, the one he didn't know, the one he wanted to know, blah de blah, but I think the title is misleading. And it bugs.). Anyway, I really liked this book and I liked John Green's style. I feel like I've read too many books lately where the author is trying too hard, the protagonists are just too cheeky and with-it, and I didn't find Miles that way. I found him really annoying when he was completely obsessed with her "promise" to him before she left ("To be continued"), but then I realized that I was supposed to be.

I, too, was worried that the book was going to be incredibly boring in the After part, just all mourning her death. Like Meera, I'm more interested in how people are living rather than how people react to others' deaths. But I found the After part to go rather quickly, probably because it was filled with more than just days of moping and nothing else. I liked their private, self-consuming thoughts, for the most part.

Anyway, to answer M's question, I'd have to say that I'm a lot of a). I do like to get involved in an adolescent book and remember my own adolescence and think back a little (but not too much). But I'm also Erica's d), I think, in that I'm often purely entertained by a book. I like to project a little, think of myself in those situations and how I would be, what I would do, what I would be like in that world. I like to see and feel and hear the characters, experience what they're experiencing, even though often their experiences are nothing like my own.

So, in sum, I was pretty impressed with this book. Certainly more impressed than I've been with other books I've been reading. And I would definitely read John Green's next book.

Here's what Simmons grad Dawn had to say:
http://avengingsybil.typepad.com/avengingsybil/2005/11/ironic_dont_you.html

Eunice Burns said...

Hmmm. Maybe you can't read Dawn's link. Here it is again, broken up, but really there should be no spaces:
http://avengingsybil
.typepad.com/
avengingsybil/
2005/11/
ironic_dont
_you.html

Sarah said...

It works if you put it as a link: Ironic (don't you think?)

Sarah said...

Meera, that exact sentence (1) bothered me too! I had to go back and reread it because it was so awkward. Editing, editing!

I didn't guess Alaska was going to die -- obviously something was going to happen to her, but the title led me to guess she was going to run away or leave the school for her boyfriend. Regardless, her death didn't really upset me and I just wondered what the last seventy pages were going to be about. I'm in the same boat as Erica: they were too long! I've said before that I'm sucky at figuring mysteries out in books but I saw the reasons for Alaska's abrupt trip miles before...Miles did. That was bad, sorry.

Eunice, I agree that Miles was definitely NOT with it. My first note for this book: Miles is clueless!

The school was not realistic. Students running around unsupervised over the Thanksgiving break? I doubt it! Green did a good job capturing the icky-ness that is Alabama. Crappy weather. Drawls. It was kinda creepy to read about Miles and the Colonel reenacting Alaska's drive -- I'm on I-65 on a daily basis, albeit a different portion.

I liked it overall, though Alaska was a little too free-spirity for me. I'm unpredictable! I'm mysterious! You can't know me!

When I read YA fiction, I am c) or the d) referred to above.