Thursday, June 02, 2005

Bye Bye Buffalo Tree

Remember Buffalo Tree from Cathie's Criticism class? It just caused a little
furor.

I liked it a lot, as I recall. But it's pretty harsh. Almost Clockwork-Orange like, in fact. I guess I can see how some people would object to it being taught as a classroom text, and I don't see anything wrong with it being available to kids in class libraries, so those who want to read it can find it. I guess I'd prefer the decision not to teach it to be left up to the teacher, though -- not the school board.

3 comments:

meeralee said...

By the way, I'm sorry that I didn't link to the book on Amazon -- I'm at work and trying not to be too conspicuous. In and out! Post!

Sarah said...

I found it amusing that the principal has a "banned book vault" of sorts in the office. It's where all the books go when they misbehave.

"By 8:30 the next morning all classroom copies of the book had been collected and stored in a vault in the principal's office."

Sarah said...

Bad book! Bad bad!

You stay in there until you know how to act in a school!