Friday, April 22, 2005

Claudia'd kick your ass!

It was obvious this book was penned by a teacher. It had Educational Bits. It had Puzzles and Games (with no connexion to the story - which reveals a desire to pander to reluctant readers: "It's not 'just' a book! It's FUN!"). It was Politically Correct: Petra and Calder were All-American kids of Mixed Ancestry. The book was trying to Be All It Could Be. Or, as Erica said, suffering from Personality Disorder.

But I still enjoyed it -- the characterization was excellent. I liked how Calder and Petra were weird and cerebral but not too much so. And they weren't twee. I liked how they were passionate about something other than video games or sports. I liked Petra's triangle hair. I have had triangle hair. It sucks.

The complete lack of logical explanation threw me. Lots of things "just happen" to Petra and Calder, through dreams and divination and superstition - random, convenient and completely inconsequential. How nice for them! I was left feeling like they didn't SOLVE anything; they followed wild guesses which were justified ("explained") by Balliet's including Charles Fort (of Fortean Times fame) and the gimmicky pentominoes. Because, you know, if you want something bad enough, it will happen!

Where's the LOGIC? The MEANING? I think Konigsburg's Claudia and Jamie could run circles around Petra and Calder. I'd like to see the four of them compete on Jeopardy! or something. Who can identify the real Raphael? Huh? Huh?

And what's with the Bette Davis referral on page 190? What 6th grader knows about her?

With all the hype, I expected more.

1 comment:

Eunice Burns said...

Okay, I just finished the book. Miraculously, I'm able to post before Sarah puts up a poll on our thoughts. Mark this day on your calendar.

Anyway, I just want to say a few things. I totally agree with Erica about the book having multiple personalities -- there was no way that we, as readers, could have solved this "mystery," which makes me feel a little gypped (I've never known how to spell that, and is it somehow racist/othering?), since I only get to read how all the pieces come together in the end. And I agree with Sarah about how Calder and Petra didn't really solve anything -- they just went on instinct and it happened to be right in the end. The whole thing seemed pretty far-fetched, and I'm sure it was kind of supposed to be, but that bugs a little. I love the idea of all the coincidences and all the twelves they kept finding, but seriously, it came together way too well.

But the characters were fun. I liked Ms. Hussey, and I ended up really liking Mrs. Sharpe. And I liked Calder and Petra on their own and with the relationship they were developing. But I agree with Erica -- there's no way twelve pentominoes would fit in Calder's pocket. And the way he kept reaching in there to play with them reminded me of guys playing "pocket pool," which makes me a little sick because Calder is 11/12 and innocent and cute and nice.