Friday, February 18, 2005

Of COURSE this is interesting to JoCD

(Non-Simmons Hedgehogs, your favorite new JoBiv is generally well-known for her OCD tendencies, so that's supposed to be funny. JoCD. Ha. I didn't make it up.)

So I was thinking about control in this book and all its complications. There are the control issues within the book - how the kids manipulate each other and fight for the leadership position and how the machine controls them. And then I had this Puppetmaster vision of Sleator as he formed and choreographed the characters in the book. I wonder if he experienced a momentary dizziness while writing the book, thinking of that little complication.

Dunno if it's worthy of discussion but thought I'd share.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

My Grand Scheme Idea: the book is like a warning of a dangerous future*** and/or a wake-up call as to how society conditions us.

***Some of the things he mentioned in the book HAVE happened, like videocameras everywhere.