Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Nick and Norah and the Infinite Heaviness of Being 18

I did not expect this book to stir up huge artistic and philosophical questions for me about children’s literature and what it is/should be/is capable of being, but uh… it did. Sorry – this may not be the best way to start off the discussion! Feel free to start another post/comment thread if it’s hard to talk about other aspects of the book under this umbrella.

Ok. Here is how I feel about Nick and Norah:

1) It’s extremely well-written. I found both the first-person narratives convincing, deft, surprising, funny, and (almost) never seeming as if they were trying too hard. Written by two different authors? You’d never notice.

2) It’s very, very well-observed. Again, both Norah and Nick come across as almost shockingly real human beings – in particular they are utterly believable as 18 year olds born in a specific time period, living in a specific place, obsessed with specific things. All of the music references are spot on (Green Day evokes being 7 years old, Toxic is “vintage Britney” -- hee) and the thought processes and emotional landscapes of all the characters are played out with skill and verve. The book captures precisely what it is like to be in your late teens and figuring out the endings of intense relationships for the first time.

3) It’s totally absorbing: the collapse of the whole novel into one night (or rather the expansion of one night into the space of a whole novel) works, in the sense that change (emotional change) is magnified, easy to observe. You do plunge right into the world of the characters and every small detail seems significant. It’s exactly that feeling you get when you are 18, that this is the night that is going to change your life. They’re engaged in what’s happening with every hair on their bodies, and I’m engaged too.

But…

4) Despite all that, I wasn’t entirely satisfied by the book. Or rather, I was satisfied in the sense that I thought it succeeded in the task of wholly and realistically creating a rich, full picture of one night in the lives of two interesting people. But to me, that’s the entirety of the novel’s achievement. It never tries to connect this night to anything larger, never reaches beyond the intensely personal, self-obsessed, superficially philosophical universe of these characters. While I was reading it I swirled deep into memories of what my life was like when I was that age, but I never felt that the book gave me anything I could carry away with me beyond a pleasant sense of nostalgia.

I guess what I’m saying is that I never felt challenged by it. I kept on thinking, “yeah, yeah, this is just what it’s like.” But never, “Wow! I never thought about it that way before,” or “Hmm. This makes me think of X,” or “This really brings up something fascinating about what happens when two people really connect – I’m excited about taking that idea and reading parts of my life, or the world, or another story, with it in mind.”

And I think for me that tends to be the difference between (a lot of) YA literature and the adult novels I love and that make my heart skip a beat – the YA books seem to be focused on faithful observations of teenage life, on making experiences come to life for their reader; the adult novels seem to expand beyond observation to comment on the lives they observe, and to ask questions about what they might mean.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m being stupid and there are many, many YA books that do that too that I’m not thinking of right now. But sometimes, man, I just want to read a picturebook here. They seem to me to be so much deeper than YA novels. ;-)

P.S. Just coming back to say I really did like the book -- it just made me wonder about some stuff.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

This book was a whirlwind! Full throttle, baby. What fascinated me most was the contrast in the first two chapters, with Nick and Norah relating the same situation in vastly differenet ways. Norah observes Triss's "piss-yellow leggings" and Nick sees "gold stockings." It made me think about how our outlook is colored by personality and mood.

I concur with Meera's points #1 and 2 -- as far as #3 goes, yes yes yes; the immediacy is overwhelming. They are up, then down, then maybe up, but -- oh no! down again. (Didn't resonate with me personally, as I had a very tame adolescence.) I kept waiting for the story to take off beyond that one night, waiting for Meera's #4.

It is a start? Usually books that end on beginnings are soothing to me; I can imagine the characters happily going on about their lives together. I liked that.

It is a sign of my advancing age that I did not understand all of the things they said.

The book did make me want to pose some new Good/Bad band names. JoJo?

M, I'm intrigued by your questions about adult vs. YA lit and will peruse my shelves for an opinion.

Sarah said...

And what adult novels do that for you?

meeralee said...

What adult novels do that for me? Goodness, so many. Most of the ones worth reading. Off the top of my head, since I'm not near my bookshelf:

-- Anything by Nabokov, but since we should probably be comparing realistic novels here and not getting into his surreal or absurd stuff, I'd say Pnin is a great example of an "observational" novel that expands beyond the small life of the character it observes.

-- The Amos Oz novel Fima, which I recommended to you last year, for much the same reasons.

-- My Sister's Continent, by Gina Frangello, made me think a great deal about love and sex and psychology, the way we read a life, how much we can know another person, etc etc etc

-- More later when I get home.

Eunice Burns said...

Just putting my two cents in, about a month late.

I might have had the opposite reaction of Meera (and Sarah) to this book. Well, maybe not. I agree with #1. I did like it. I found it fast-paced, energetic, and easy to get into. I don't know if you can tell it was written by two different authors, but even if you can, it's appropriate that way, given the alternating narrative. I found Nick's and Norah's voices very real, and I kind of enjoyed the culture references (didn't Lisa Jahn-Clough tell us not to do this, since it dates a book? just wondering).

But in terms of #2, I found both Nick and Norah just a little too deep, too profound, too expressive, too sure of their uncertainty. I agree that they are "almost shockingly real," but they seem almost too real at times, too self-observing (and correct at that).

And #3: I love what M. wrote: "It’s exactly that feeling you get when you are 18, that this is the night that is going to change your life." But I got kind of sick of the night. Seriously, the night lasted forever. I got a little antsy by the end, wanting the night to wrap up and get on with it. I kept thinking how tired they must be, and how tired I was...

#4: I'm not sure if I needed anything more from this book than what it gave me. I was glad that we didn't fast-forward to see what happened later (not that that is what M. wanted, but now I'm just rambling). I like being able to guess on my own, and perhaps think of my own ending. It was a little too "and now we shall see what happens tomorrow but for now I'm happy about today" in Norah's mind, but whatev.

But back to the bug. Nick and Norah were both so self-aware in their own ways, and I guess by the end I wasn't buying it. I wasn't that deep when I was 18, and neither were my friends. We certainly had deep and profound thoughts and conversations, but it was never expressed so eloquently, so perfectly uncertain, with such clear ambiguity (oxymoron intended). Nick and Norah were too good. They were too reflective, too responsible, too aware, too whatever, all in the heat of the moment. Maybe I just couldn't relate to all the philosophical wonderings and ramblings and thoughts.

I did like the book, though. I enjoyed their different perspectives, their male/female and other differences, their teenage angst. I guess I just thought they seemed older than 18. And perhaps not able to process all of that stuff within one night. I can't even do that now, and I'm 33.

Frankly, I just don't think I'm deep enough for this book. And that's okay with me. I'm glad I read it, and I'm glad it's out there.

And sorry for skipping the October book.

Sarah said...

I think our comments just reinforce the fact that teens are weird.