Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Wrecked

NOTE: We are locked in a tie for next month's book! Please vote if you have not yet done so!

The only other E.R. Frank book I've read is America -- has anyone else read her other stuff? That was a harsh story. Wrecked struck me (ooh, bad pun) as incredibly sad. I cried a lot.

This blurb leans towards the Reader's Response form of criticism, with lots of personal info thrown in, just an FYI.

Anna's relationship with her parents is fragile. She has little to no meaningful interaction with her mother and her dad has anger/control/fear issues. The brother-sister relationship between Anna and Jack has had its ups and downs, as you do when you get older and just don't pick on each other all the time, instead seeing the other as a person. Frank shows these with lots of flashbacks; I thought they were done well and did not seem forced.

This was a hard book for me to read. I liked it, I liked Anna, I liked Ellen. The hospital scenes with Ellen freaked me out. Her collapsed lung and breathing tubes were too much like my mom's; even the name was the same.

And her father's anger -- his need to control; his insistence that his children recognize that they are wrong and he is right; his obsession that things be done his way, even when it is ridiculous, such as picking up leaves by hand. I know what it is like to be on the receiving end of that. Those parts of the book were disturbing to me and very real, even though my dad isn't quite like that anymore.

The family situation becomes unbearable when Anna has the accident. That's the tipping point, that throws it all out into the open and Anna starts to crumble.

Therapy was not a quick fix. Frank knows what she is doing with that; if you read the flap copy, it explains Frank is a clinical social worker and psychotherapist who focuses on trauma.

I don't know if this book resonated with me because of my mom's recent death and the similarities between my dad and Anna's. The final page did not satisfy me -- yes, we know there is still progress to be made, but it didn't fit. Seemed tacked on. I wanted the dad to leave.

The silence of the stopped scream -- poetic and terrifying.

5 comments:

Eunice Burns said...

Wow, Sarah, I can see how your impressions of the book and your perspective would really put a different spin on it (and make it difficult to read/hear, for the most part). Wow.

I picked this book up in a bookstore a few months ago, started reading it, and immediately became enraptured. (Then I put it on the wish list, and you know the story from there.) So when I picked it up again, I found myself having the same reaction: totally enraptured, I really wanted to know what happened, I was really involved in the book and the characters. That hasn't happened in a long time, so it was refreshing to be invested.

I really liked Anna. I thought she was very real, and it was interesting to see her as she saw herself through her brother's eyes as much as we could (him calling her "small," etc.). I was a little sick of the "he goes" and "I go," but it was true to Anna's voice. I thought Ellen was very real as well. And the other characters, too, although it was a little weird that she didn't know Lisa and Seth very well at the beginning and then they became part of her only support network (plus Jason and Ellen, and that's it).

I got a little tired with the EMDR stuff, but then I thought it really is integral to the entire book -- to see Anna go through that, to see and hear her thought processes -- and so that was okay. I didn't mind how the book ended -- I like that it's clear Anna isn't just fine and dandy but she is healing -- but I would need to reread it again to reassess.

I thought the flashbacks worked well for this book, especially to give us more information to take into the therapy and to give us more background information about the family dynamics. It was hard for me to take the dad, not for personal reasons but just because he behaved like a dick. I liked how Anna kept saying, "What do you mean, he's so scared?" And she got glimpses of that, but she also didn't want to excuse his behavior so readily. She shouldn't. I couldn't figure out if I thought the dad was improving (or trying to) by the end.

A few things I really liked about the book, other than what I've mentioned:
- the mom's growth, where she finally goes to therapy and doesn't stand for the dad in certain situations (blocks him from hitting A, gets in the car with the others), and how she says it's an ultimatum if he doesn't go to therapy
- Jack's character, where he's trying to be stoic and kind ("I'm glad you're okay," "excuse me") but is just crushed about Cameron and can't bring himself to embrace Anna
- Jack and Anna's relationship, as it seemed very real to me, the ups and downs and closeness and not
- the fact that Anna never looked at the website for Cameron (I wanted her to so badly, but I could see that she didn't think to and then couldn't and still wasn't there yet)

Why wasn't the fact that Cameron was drunk more focused on? I just think it would be. I don't know why. Like people would be telling Anna that over and over, it's not her fault, Cameron was drunk, etc., etc.

In terms of Frank's other books, I thought America was an amazing book when I read it at Simmons. I thought I also read Life Is Funny, but the description on Amazon doesn't sound at all familiar. Huh.

Eunice Burns said...

I forgot to say that I also thought the imagery was very powerful in this book -- specifically, the screaming, stopped. And when it happens in the hallway at school (when Ellen's balloons are popped) and then after the SATs, it is very alive to me. Very haunting, very real, very strong. I thought Frank did a great job of that. Oh, and the recurring dream/nightmare image of the glass ponytail in Anna's eye. Very powerful.

Sarah said...

The EMDR stuff was odd -- borderline too technical/spacey there for me, but it wasn't a magic wand.

I tried to find a connection between both Anna and her father behaving as they did out of fear, but that didn't get me too far; they dealt with it in different ways.

Interesting -- I did NOT want Anna to look at the website. I don't care if she ever looks at the website. Just having to deal with all the stories or notes or whatever was posted there about the life that she ended. Yes, it was an accident, but that's just too much, I think.

Eunice Burns said...

I think I wanted her to look at the website more for Jack. I agree that all the stuff she'd find there would be totally surreal and probably not helpful, but Jack seemed so hurt when he said, "You really haven't looked at it even once?" or whatever. I wanted her to look at it to show him that she cares about him and his loss and his way of dealing with it. But it's not like she has anything to prove. And if it doesn't help her, why look? So I can see your point.

Sarah said...

When you put it that way, I think it would be nice if she could just pop in and take a look for her brother's sake. Good point, Ms. Burns.